Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Something Different

A lot of us (including me) have had some solid posts, but almost all of the stories have been sardonic and cynical. Nothing wrong with that, I love being mean. However, reading this CNN news article kind of made my heart melt a little and made me take a step back and say, "word.. word".

Click here

The article shows the simple joys of childhood between a pair of baby orangutans and a pair of tigers. They play with each other and hang out; and when they're done that, they cuddle up and chill. Unbeknownst to these little critters is that as they grow older, they will become hostile towards one another and will no longer have mad chill sessions. In fact, the tigers will be wanting to eviscerate the orangutans and eat them, whilst the orangutans will have the urge to fling projectile feces at the tigers.

I see this as a metaphor for the world. In our younger years, we have nothing but innocent demeanor and simply wish to play with each other. As we grow older, we want nothing more than to eviscerate and fling poo at one another. Instead of seeing the world as it is and taking pleasure in its fruits, we want to alter and change it to how we want to see it. And since nearly everyone has a dogmatic view of what they believe, we will not stop the constant bickering. This truth has always bothered me and I have only went along with it to conform. I feel sad now. I think I need a hug.

2 comments:

ScottP said...

I think the analogy is a beatiful one though a little idealistic. I think it is great to have an ideal in mind of how things could be better for one to work towards. I feel that in order for people to change the things they do not like in the world, they must see both sides; the ideal of peace and the cynical eye.

mjdunh said...

Great post -- but it is interesting how you turned such a positive story into a cynical one by projecting into the future and seeing how all good relationships deteriorate...