Thursday, February 22, 2007

"We've Got Big Balls"

We’ve Got Big Balls” is a clever title that caught my eye as I was looking over “Foxnews.com”. However the story it contains is that of a very serious matter. In Surabaya, Indonesia a gusher of mud has erupted and it devastating anything that is within close proximity. Tons of hot noxious mud has poured out from this hole in the ground covering anything that lies in its path. Some twenty-five factories have been abandoned because they are covered with over thirty feet of mud. 11,000 people have been forced to leave their villages to find a place where they may seek refuge.

This so called “mud volcano” is somewhat common to the area due to the fact that this certain land falls between fault lines. Now where could this title of “We’ve got Big Balls” come into play? Well, the National Task force that is dealing with this crisis has come up with a solution. They are to drop hundreds of concrete balls, some weighing in excess of half a ton, into the “mud volcano”. If projected correctly the mud flow will be halted by a staggering 70%.

To be honest, the only reason I looked at this news story was because of the title. It just stuck out to me because it was on the front page of “Foxnews.com”. Maybe the news has to do this to make people aware that disasters happen in other parts of the world and not only the United States. Most US citizens, I wouldn’t call them ignorant, but naive to the fact that there are a lot worse situations occurring around the world than that of, god forbid, high gas prices. I think it is kind of sad that I, myself, had to find this news out by being tricked by a catchy title. But if this is what news stations and online-news have to do to make people aware, it will work, or it did for me anyway.

1 comment:

dylan leeroy said...

Fox News is coverage I can count on. If a ball of any sort drops in this world, I know Fox will be the first to bring the story to me. Go Fox.