Friday, February 23, 2007

Where is the line drawn?

I was channel surfing today as a stumbled upon the channel 5 news report. I stopped to watch about a mother and father who had lost a child to the neighbors dog. The dog had not been tied and had been roaming around freely. Just as this family's child was walking home, the child was attacked and killed by the dog. This event caught television attention and quickly swarmed by the media, and as the reporters began to ask the family questions I couldn't help but put myself in the situation of the mother and father who had just lost a child. The reporters asked questions such as, How do u feel? Do you resent your neighbors? How are dealing with the lost of your child? Is their anything that you wish you did differently? I couldn't help but think that they were possibly crossing a line by asking such questions so immediately. Which draws me to my point that maybe there are questions that you just shouldn't ask. That the media could possible take in a more moral account of the news they are processing. Drawing a distinct line between what is actually news and what is really just being vindictive to ask.

No comments: